1.26.2007

Resturant Review: Bacchanalia

Oh lawdy.

All that really needs to be said is that if offered a prix fixe menu that has the option to spend $40 more for risotto with shaved white truffles, spend the goddamn money already. White truffles are actually quite taupe but good lord if ever a food made me believe in God, this was it. While eating it, I LITERALLY felt like I was floating above the table.

LITERALLY!

LITERALLY!!!

It made me wonder if all the fuss over truffles was connected to all the fuss over those other magic mushrooms (which I have never had but have heard that they taste rather gross). I rather wish I had had only had this for dinner. And chocolate truffles? Hah! They will never cross my palate again.

That said, the meal itself was lovely too. Dinner began with a glass of Laurent-Perrier, which was expensive, delicious and appropriately celebratory. There was a cheddar puff and dab of potato soup - if plural, are they still amuse-bouches? I started with oysters, and then came a lovely 2001 Barolo. Risotto ecstasy followed, nicely complimented by aged Parm with dates. My human date had a swathe from the cheese board, and oh, those were heavenly too. Dessert was sadly unimpressive - a far too sweet and eggy huckleberry souffle. But the petits fours, cookies, and the final touch, a slightly undercooked madeline, made the entire night an affair to remember. Minus, alas, Cary Grant.

Still, this was the most expensive dinner I have ever had and I must say, Billie Holiday could have joined me at the table.

No comments: