1.18.2007

My mom went to Atlanta shopping and all I got was this lousy bottle of wine

Oriel 2004 Barona Rias Baixas. $22. Seriously? This wine is actually quite good. But compared to the four pairs of boots my mom bought herself (she had the biggest bag from the Cole-Haan store that I have ever seen), would a Chloe bag from Saks really have been that much to ask for? (Ok, so maybe it would have been.) Anyway, this wine (easily found at The Grape in Atlanta, from whence it came) is a quite flavorful Spanish white. Oriel makes/distributes wines in a number of countries, but I had only seen their U.S. wines. Now I know that I have been missing out (although I can't really afford them unless I splurge in a restaurant, as I did earlier today after a job interview at the Inman Park Grape, where, alas, no Usher was present). The Barona is made from Albarino grapes, a light, dry white grape not unlike a Sancerre or Muscadet. I love Sancerre and Muscadet wines. I have less experience with the Albarino, due to the lame distribution in my part of the world (and Georgia, I'm not talking about you). But the few that I have tasted have been just as tasty. Unlike many lighter bodied whites, an Albarino grape, like a Sancerre, is rather minerally. If done right, one should just taste crisp mineral and citrus, maybe some apricot. It should not be fruity. It should not be golden, nor should it be grassy. It should be just exactly what a perfect spring day tastes like. This wine tastes like that. When it gets really grey and rainy over the next few weeks, when you just cannot wait any longer for spring, go splurge on this wine and pretend that it's May outside.

No comments: